The Petplan Breeder Scheme is free to join for new and experienced responsible breeders who want to protect their puppies and kittens as they settle into their new homes. As a breeder participating in the Petplan Breeder Scheme (the “Scheme”) You agree to comply with these Terms and Conditions.
In these Terms and Conditions:
References to “You” and “Your” means the breeder participating in the Scheme; and
“Petplan” means Allianz Insurance Plc (registered number 84638 and FCA firm reference number 121849) whose registered office is at 57 Ladymead, Guildford, Surrey GU1 1DB.
- The Scheme is only open to responsible breeders. Petplan may refuse to accept anyone as a member of the Scheme at its absolute discretion.
- You must be resident in the UK, aged 18 years or over and have never been convicted of any animal welfare offence.
- If Your registration is approved by Petplan, You will be entitled to one membership in the Scheme.
- Subject always to these Terms and Conditions, Petplan hereby appoints You to: (a) market, promote and offer the Instant Puppy Policies and/or Instant Kitten Policies to Your customers; (b) bind Petplan by issuing the Instant Puppy Policies and/or Instant Kitten Policies to Your customers; and (c) provide Petplan with the details of all of Your customers who have agreed to enter into an Instant Puppy Policy and/or Instant Kitten Policy, and You accept such appointment. In consideration of Your participation in the Scheme, You shall, subject to these Terms and Conditions, be entitled to participate in the Breeder Bonus as detailed in Clauses 24 to 36.
- You will use only the marketing materials provided by Petplan and will not vary or alter such material.
- You will conduct Your business at all times in accordance with good industry practice in a way that will not risk damage to Petplan’s brand, reputation or goodwill.
- You agree to notify Petplan within 24 hours if You are charged with any animal welfare offence.
- You will comply with the Petplan Puppy Charter (available here: https://www.petplanbreeder.co.uk/puppycharter) and/or the Petplan Kitten Charter (available here: https://www.petplanbreeder.co.uk/kittencharter) (each a “Charter”) and all applicable laws at all times. Petplan may pause Your participation in the Scheme while it awaits receipt of documents or information requested from You confirming Your compliance with the Charter. Petplan may terminate Your participation in the Scheme at any time where Petplan has reasonable belief to suspect any breach or attempted breach of the Charter, these Terms and Conditions or applicable law.
- Petplan may investigate You as a breeder. If Petplan suspect or conclude, following investigation, poor breeding practices and/or animal cruelty then Petplan may terminate Your membership of and participation in the Scheme with immediate effect by giving written notice (which shall include email) to You. Petplan may report the matter to the police, its other business partners, local authorities and councils, including the RSPCA. For the avoidance of doubt, Petplan can make a disclosure in accordance with this Clause 8 after termination of Your involvement in the Scheme.
- Petplan or You may terminate Your involvement in the Scheme with immediate effect by giving written notice (which shall include email) to the other. The relevant email address for serving notice on Petplan will be firstname.lastname@example.org. The relevant email address for serving notice on You will be the latest email address of Yours that You have provided to Petplan as part of Your involvement in the Scheme.
- Petplan offer a dedicated Breeder line, through which You may seek guidance from Petplan in relation to Your obligations under these Terms and Conditions. The number for the Breeder line is: 0330 100 9681
- You will identify and refer all complaints or expression of dissatisfaction made by any of Your customers in relation to an Instant Puppy Policy and/or Instant Kitten Policy to Petplan within 24 hours upon receipt by You. The above obligation applies regardless of the method the customer used to complain (e.g. in person, phone, email, letter, facsimile etc.).
- During, and for a period of five years after the end of Your participation in the Scheme, Petplan, the Financial Conduct Authority (or any successor regulator from time to time) or their respective representatives may audit Your compliance with the Terms and Conditions.
- Petplan reserve the right to change these Terms and Conditions at any time. Updated versions of the Terms and Conditions will appear here: https://www.petplanbreeder.co.uk/terms-conditions and are effective immediately. You are responsible for regularly reviewing the Terms and Conditions. Your continued participation in the Scheme after any such changes constitutes Your consent and agreement to be bound by the updated Terms and Conditions.
- Other than liability that cannot be limited by law, under no circumstances shall Petplan or You (to the extent that You have not acted outside of the Terms and Conditions) have any liability to the other party under, or arising from, these Terms and Conditions for any indirect, special or consequential loss or damage including loss of profits or revenues, loss of contract or business opportunities, or loss of goodwill.
- These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by English law, and Petplan and You both submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
Scope of Activities – What You can and can’t do as part of the Scheme
- When performing insurance-related activities under the Scheme, You must, as You would in Your primary breeding business, act honestly, fairly and professionally in the best interests of Your customers.
- As a breeder participating in the Scheme, the Instant Puppy Policies and/or Instant Kitten Policies that You activate in accordance with these Terms and Conditions are ‘connected contracts’. A connected contract of insurance can only be provided as a complementary insurance to the primary purpose of the sale, in this case the sale of the puppy or kitten.
- Provided that You act in accordance with these Terms and Conditions at all times, Your actions of activating the Instant Puppy Policies and/or Instant Kitten Policies, will be exempt from Financial Conduct Authority regulation due to the Connected Contracts Exemption (Article 72B of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Regulated Activities) Order 2001).
- As part of the Scheme and Your interactions with Your customers, You can do the following:
As part of the Scheme and Your interactions with Your customers You cannot do any of the following:
- 20.1. provide generic advice on the overall merits of pet insurance. (e.g. "We recommend that you consider taking out pet insurance");
- 20.2. market and promote the Instant Puppy Policies and/or Instant Kitten Policies by:
- 20.2.1. actively distributing Petplan approved marketing materials to customers (e.g. handing a customer a leaflet about the Instant Puppy Policies and/or Instant Kitten Policies); and
- 20.2.2. actively promoting the Instant Puppy Policies and/or Instant Kitten Policies in conversations with customers (e.g. “you are entitled to four weeks' free pet insurance from Petplan when you buy an eligible puppy/kitten”);
- 20.3. issue an Instant Puppy Policy or Instant Kitten Policy to customers, where the customer accepts the terms and conditions of the Instant Puppy Policy or Instant Kitten Policy and when the customer purchases an eligible puppy or kitten from You; and
- 20.4. activate the Instant Puppy Policies and/or Instant Kitten Policies on behalf of Your customers as outlined further below at Clause 22.
- 21.1. advise customers in relation to the merits of purchasing any Petplan policy (e.g. You must not say anything such as, "We recommend that you take out a Covered for Life policy with Petplan");
- 21.2. suggest that, in offering the Instant Puppy Policies and/or Instant Kitten Policies, that You recommend the other Petplan Policies (e.g. You must not suggest that, in offering the Instant Puppy Policies or Instant Kitten Policies, You are also recommending the annual Petplan pet insurance products);
- 21.3. provide information in such a way that it might be viewed as seeking to persuade or influence a customer into purchasing a Petplan pet insurance policy (e.g. You must not say anything such as, " We recommend that you consider taking out pet insurance - Petplan do a lifetime policy called Covered for Life");
- 21.4. use any unapproved marketing materials related to the Instant Puppy Policies and/or Instant Kitten Policies; and
- 21.5. activate the Instant Puppy Policy or Instant Kitten Policy more than 72 hours after the sale of the Puppy or Kitten.
How to Activate the Instant Puppy Policy or Instant Kitten Policies
To activate the Instant Puppy Policies and/or Instant Kitten Policies:
Further details about how to activate the Instant Puppy Policies and/or Instant Kitten Policies are available here.
- 22.1. Offer the new owner 4 weeks free insurance from Petplan. Before You activate the cover, please provide them with the ‘pre-activation’ documentation, specifically the Terms of Business and Insurance Product Information Documents. It is a requirement that they have this documentation before they agree to the free insurance.
- 22.2. You can activate free Instant Puppy Policies and/or Instant Kitten Policies 24 hours before or up to 72 hours after the pet goes to its new home, either online at www.petplanbreeder.co.uk or by calling the Puppy Activation Line 0330 100 9682 or the Kitten Activation Line 0330 100 9720. Please have Your breeder number to hand, the new owner’s name, address, phone number and details of their new pet. The pet must be aged between 8 weeks and 1 year to receive free cover.
- 22.3. Write the policy number that Petplan give You on one of the Confirmation of Cover Vouchers in the Instant Puppy/Kitten Policy Book.
- 22.4. Complete the rest of the details on the Confirmation of Cover Voucher and give it to the new owner along with the Next Steps Flyer and First Days Guide.
The Breeder Bonus applies to Instant Puppy Policies and/or Instant Kitten Policies and annual Petplan insurance policies taken out by new owners. To be eligible to receive a Breeder Bonus for an annual Petplan insurance policy, the annual policy must be for the same pet initially covered by the Instant Puppy Policy or Instant Kitten Policy.
You must keep Petplan informed of any changes to Your contact details. Petplan will not be responsible for any loss of reward credits or vouchers incurred as a result of Your out of date details.
Petplan may remove Your account and any bonus credits or vouchers will be forfeited if it is unable to contact with You after making reasonable attempts to do so.
Petplan will give You 3 (three) months’ written notice (which shall include email) in the event of termination of the Breeder Bonus. Following the 3 (three) months’ notice, You will then have a further 4 (four) weeks for the final exchange of credits after which time they will become null and void.
Petplan may decline to issue, withdraw or cancel bonus credits at any time where Petplan has reasonable belief to suspect any breach or attempted breach of the Terms and Conditions or where Your participation in the Scheme has been terminated by Petplan.
In the event of termination of the Breeder Bonus or Your participation in the Scheme, for whatever reason, You will not be awarded any future bonus credits and You agree to destroy all Petplan marketing materials You may hold.
Bonus credits and vouchers cannot be transferred, bought, sold or in any way traded by You. They are allocated to the registered participating breeder and not to any individual in their personal capacity or partners in such businesses.
Bonus credits have no value until converted into vouchers and bonus credits and cannot be exchanged for cash. However, in place of vouchers, a cash equivalent can be donated to a selection of animal charities. This list can be obtained via Breeder line on 0330 100 9681.
Delivery of vouchers will only be made to the address You have provided to Petplan and will, subject to availability, be dispatched within 28 days of order.
Petplan reserves the right to change or remove, at its absolute discretion at any time the items available in Breeder Bonus without notice or any liability to You.
Petplan reserves the right to vary the credit values and exchange rates and to vary these Terms and Conditions at any time without prior notice or liability.
If You receive gifts from Breeder Bonus You may be liable for tax on the gifts as “taxable benefits”. It is Your responsibility to make the appropriate declarations to HMRC.
All correspondence regarding Breeder Bonus should be sent to Breeder Bonus, PO Box 504, Leicester, LE94 OAE or via the Helpline number 03333 010332.
Petplan and You, both acting as data controllers, undertake at all times to comply with the Data Protection Laws, the Data Protection Act 2018 and all legislation enacted in the UK in respect of the protection of personal data from time to time.
You will provide Petplan with personal data of the new owner and You will ensure that You have obtained from the new owner the necessary permissions for such data to be shared with Petplan.
Personal data of the new owner that Petplan obtain from You will be used in accordance with the Petplan Privacy notice available here: https://www.petplan.co.uk/privacy-and-legal/
Personal data that Petplan collect about You as a breeder will be used in accordance with the Petplan Privacy notice available here: https://www.petplan.co.uk/privacy-and-legal/.
41. Where requested, You shall assist Petplan in complying with its obligations under the Data Protection Laws in relation to data subjects’ rights.